Vijay Mathews (@vijaymathews) is a co-founder of W&Co., an interactive design & development agency based in New York. In the last few years, he’s built mobile apps and websites for a variety of clients, focusing on the education, non-profit, retail, and government sectors.
This conversation discusses running a multidisciplinary firm, the workflow and roles at W&Co., and the trouble with de facto standards in the design biz.
Get The Episode
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 32 (MP3, 41:31, 20.1 MB)
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 32 (OGG, 41:31, 33.8 MB)
Subscribe to Get New Episodes
Show Notes & Links
- W&Co. does Design AND Development, and has since the beginning
- Chris Auyeung, Vijay’s co-founder at W&Co.
- Josh Miles discussed the growth of his firm on a previous podcast episode
- They now “do the kind of work they want to do”
- They’ve stayed nimble so they can “keep the overhead low but still provide the quality of work they wanted to provide.”
“We didn't have the mindset to say no to work; we were just getting started.”
- Designers should “know and understand the capabilities and limitations” of software and devices
- Zeitgeist, En Vogue … can you tell Prescott went to art school?
- The Polymath aka The Renaissance Man
- Vijay and his team have moved away from mobile applications toward broader digital/web projects
“Maintaining native applications across a wide variety of platforms and devices was impossible.”
- 80% Websites, 20% Apps
- “Do you need an app?” A question for webmasters and podcasters
- Candy Crush
- W&Co. applications on the iTunes store
- How The Sausage Gets Made
- Another reference to “The Museum in Minneapolis” (throwback to Episode 30 with Michael Bierut)
- Ask yourself “What could it be?”
- Websites that haven’t updated since 1997
“Should you be using a photo-editing tool for web mockups?”
- Word Processor Wars of the 1980s and The Browser Wars of the 1990s
- XKCD Comic on competing standards
- Previous episode on Project Management Apps with Bryan Orr
- Lingua Franca
- The Story of QuarkXPress
- Prescott New Year’s Resolution for 2008: “Never use Quark again!”
- Eisenhower Methodology, again
- Remember The Milk
- Consider longevity in the marketplace (shorter-life projects can be more avant garde)
- Don’t be too conservative during the ideation phase
- Play to your strengths in your roles (designer, IA, etc.) but join forces as well to have multidisciplinary crossover
- Utilise Master Pages in InDesign
- Have a daily scrum meeting
- Examine your calendar the night before
- 30-45 minute run early in the morning to clear the head
- Arrive before the staff to sort email and admin
Try Audible.com Free for 30-Days
Visit BusyCreatorBook.com for your free trial
Join the Discussion
Add your experiences in the Comments section below.
Enjoyed this article?
More insight and resources delivered in our newsletter. Sign up below to receive site updates.