Todd Henry (@ToddHenry) is an author, speaker, and creative consultant who has written three books, including his newest, Louder Than Words, available August 11, 2015.
Building on his previous writing efforts, Louder Than Words is aimed at creative professionals who struggle to find significance in the larger arc of their work and careers. Together, we discuss his unwavering writing methodologies, the struggles faced by creative pros at various points in their career, and what he’s discovered in writing and publishing three related books in seven years.
Catch up with Todd at ToddHenry.com, or AccidentalCreative.com
Get The Episode
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 64 (MP3, 24:30, 12.0 MB)
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 64 (OGG, 24:30, 11.8 MB)
Subscribe to Get New Episodes
Subscribe to The Busy Creator Podcast on Apple Podcasts, on Google Podcasts, on Stitcher, on iHeart
Show Notes & Links
- Todd was first a guest on The Busy Creator Podcast in Summer 2014, on Episode 15
- The Accidental Creative by Todd Henry on Amazon and on Audible
- Die Empty by Todd Henry on Amazon and on Audible
- Louder Than Words by Todd Henry on Amazon
“No one sits down and writes a book. They're written in small chunks, over time.”
- Todd favours “regulated consistent chunking of work” as a method to write books
- Todd does his best writing when he’s out in the environment, not locked in a room
“(Writing a book) is not painful in the way that physical labour is painful.”
- Louder Than Words helps us discover who we are and find our “why”
- This latest book is written toward an “early 30-something creative professional” struggling to make his mark, and to find deeper meaning in a larger body of work
“Resonate voices are not gifted by the gods. They are honed over time through practice.”
- “Unicorns” make up a fraction-of-a-percent of the population
- Prescott hates the term hustle, especially vis-a-vis lifelong perseverance
“You only move the needle in substantial ways over the course of decades.”
“No one's career is built on one opportunity.”
- Branding is the like the integral rather than instantaneous value
- The Accidental Creative Podcast, which has been going for 10 years
- Todd Henry on Twitter
- Todd Henry on Facebook
- Todd Henry on Instagram
- Todd’s Facebook group The Collective
- Write consistently everyday and strive for a word count
- Research as you write, allow new input as the book unfolds
- Use blocks of time for purposeful creation or writing
- Before you build a platform, consider your voice
- Shape your vision toward an intended audience
- Set a daily habit of writing
- Continue to hone your craft, as well as the deep vision. Remain competent.
- Develop your voice, day by day, and don’t rely on bursts of “fame”
Try Audible.com Free for 30-Days
Visit BusyCreatorBook.com for your free trial
Join the Discussion
Add your experiences in the Comments section below.
Enjoyed this article?
More insight and resources delivered in our newsletter. Sign up below to receive site updates.