Charles Penn (@TheBrownVegan)is a musician and music producer based in New Jersey. Together with Prescott he discusses the state of music on the Internet, including listening, buying, sharing, and the potential of collaborating world-wide. The conversation moves to music promotion and tactics for artists starting out. Check out Charles’s music on his website, The Sounds of The Underground.
Get The Episode
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 17 (MP3, 57:36, 55.7 MB)
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 17 (OGG, 57:36, 54.7 MB)
Subscribe to Get New Episodes
Show Notes & Links
- First episode recorded face-to-face. Skype is awesome, but it’s nice to see people in real life.
- In The Groove, Jazz and Beyond
- YouTube (yes, for music)
- Prescott [still uses] an iPod Classic
- Bob Marley on iTunes
- Google Music
- Juicy, by Notorious B.I.G. on iTunes
- Pandora, for streaming
- Music Genome Project
- Sade on iTunes
- Beats Music Service
- Services are too associated with Social Media (Rdio and Spotify, especially)
- Drake, Nicki Minaj, Lil’ Wayne — all artists which Prescott has never heard of
- Robin Thicke
- 45 Record Singles
- Apple Records
- iTunes v12 coming soon (to your Mac)
- Google is Skynet
- .Mac and iDrive (c. 2001)
- CD Quality is 16-bit 44.1Khz Stereo PCM
- Justin Bieber, discovered on YouTube
- Gabrielle Aplin, has been playing her videos from her bedroom for years and is now a big star
- Points on the back-end
- Finding Llweyn Davis
- iTunes internet radio
- ACB Radio for the Blind
- The Halls of Ivy (every episode available for download)
- Amazon Music
- Google Wallet
- YouTube, for sharing your music
- Weebly, for website templates
- SoundCloud, for home-grown artists
- For Pandora, only vote songs down. Otherwise, you’ll hear the exact same song again and again.
- Search for stations on the Internet Radio stream. Discover something unexpected.
- Exchange features with other up-and-coming artists, then cross-promote for each other
- Search randomly. Don’t “plan” your music.
- Give away your music to build a fan base. The money will come.
Try Audible.com Free for 30-Days
Visit BusyCreatorBook.com for your free trial
Join the Discussion
Add your experiences in the Comments section below.
Enjoyed this article?
More insight and resources delivered in our newsletter. Sign up below to receive site updates.