How should a creative professional go about building an audience for an online project or brand? What can we do to connect with likeminded people and potential partners? How can bring a killer app or perfect gift to a hungry audience?
Like many others on the Internet, I don’t have all the answers, but I know a few experts.
In this episode, we hear from Johanna (@GoodVibesJo) and Charles (@TheBrownVegan), the team behind Good Vibes Life, on the hard lessons learned in their first year of online brand-building. We also hear from Ben Kreuger (@BenWKreuger), of Cashflow Podcasting, on popular and proven tactics for audience growth. Finally, Kate Erickson (@KateLErickson) of Entrepreneur on Fire and Kate’s Take shares the Top 7 Strategies: How to Grow a Podcast Audience. Learn what they are in today’s conversation.
When all’s said and done, there are a few genuinely proven routes to take to building an audience, but each takes consistency, energy, and time. Lots of time.
Get The Episode
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 71 (MP3, 1:02:46, 30.3 MB)
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 71 (OGG, 1:02:46, 31.4 MB)
Subscribe to Get New Episodes
Show Notes & Links
- Johanna is a holistic health coach, yoga instructor, and nurse
- Recipes are available
- Long-term strategy pays, some food bloggers have been going for 7+ years
- @YogaGirl, a popular yogi who shares her personal life
- Johanna & Charles have taken different approaches with social media: free-form and very regimented
“The point of social media is not just to gain followers.”
“75% of the classroom has the same question, but no one is brave enough to ask.”
“The smallest thing you can do in the world is a single tap on a digital screen.”
- Maslow’s Hierarchy
- Johanna observed a loss in engagement, even in a two-month period
“In order to have an audience of any kind, there has to be a medium of communication.”
- Pareto Principle aka The 80/20 Rule
- Kate’s recent blog post on growth
- Critical Mass: The point at which your project’s marketing isn’t reliant on you
- The Consistency Formula: Post Consistently + Audience Makes Listening a Habit = Podcast Growth
- Facebook or LinkedIn Groups are a good place to find like-minded people, but can be distaction-filled
- Derek Halpern’s approach to the 80/20 rule: “Create content 20% of the time. Spend the other 80% of the time promoting what you created.”
- Gary Vaynerchuk says “you should never schedule a tweet.”
- Johanna Perez-Fox on Facebook
- Johanna Perez-Fox on Instagram
- Johanna Perez-Fox on SnapChat
- Johanna Perez-Fox on Periscope
- Charles Penn on Facebook
- Charles Penn on Instagram
- Charles Penn on SnapChat
- Charles Penn on Periscope
- Good Vibes Life on YouTube
- Ben Kreuger on Twitter
- Ben Kreuger (Authority Engine) on Facebook
- Cashflow Podcasting on SoundCloud
- Kate Erickson on Twitter
- Kate Erickson on Instagram
- Entrepreneur on Fire on Facebook
- Entrepreneur on Fire on YouTube
- Publish recipes or other content to build a following over years (decades)
- Speak about yourself from a place where you learned something
- Get involved with in-person events, even if you’re building an online business
- Position yourself as a mutual learner with a community of likeminded people
- Leverage your time to the most effective tasks
- Batch your tasks to save time and energy
- Growth Strategy 1: Confirm Uniqueness (format, tone, content)
- Growth Strategy 2: Be Social (spread the word; no one else will)
- Growth Strategy 3: Be Consistent (always!)
- Growth Strategy 4: Create Community (make people feel welcome in comments)
- Growth Strategy 5: Do the Rounds (guest blogging and guest appearances)
- Growth Strategy 6: Always Listen (continuous improvement)
- Growth Strategy 7: Have a Strong Call-to-Action (send folks to the show notes or email)
- Go back to your archive and use previously-released content
- Choose 3-5 groups to participate in. There are too many to join to be productive.
- Share your personal details as well as your professional happenings
- Observe and question the value of a “Like”, make sure you’re asking for valuable feedback
- Continually answer questions to the entire audience, rather than to individuals
- Work in 2-3 hour chunks, with breaks in between
- Find ways to publish your content in multiple formats and media
- Be careful about scheduled posts when a dramatic event occurs in the world
- Continually tweak and improve your projects; give ’em time.
Try Audible.com Free for 30-Days
Visit BusyCreatorBook.com for your free trial
Join the Discussion
Add your experiences in the Comments section below.
Enjoyed this article?
More insight and resources delivered in our newsletter. Sign up below to receive site updates.