Prescott Perez-Fox (@scottperezfox) is an independent brand consultant and designer based in Brooklyn, NY. Following ten years as a scrappy freelancer in New York’s design scene, he’s built a number of eccentric workflows and organisational structures.
This conversation loops and swirls a bit, covering career observations, podcast production, personal productivity struggles, and Prescott’s possible plans for becoming a consultant … and perhaps an agency.
Catch up with Prescott on his crumbly old website, perezfox.com or, um, here on The Busy Creator.
Get The Episode
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 80 (MP3, 1:07:04, 96.8 MB)
- Download The Busy Creator Podcast, Episode 80 (OGG, 1:07:04, 75.1 MB)
Subscribe to Get New Episodes
Show Notes & Links
- Prescott & Marie are both coffee drinkers; neither are super-early morning people
- “The Cult of 5:00am”
- Morning Pages
- Gratitude Practice
“I help small businesses put their best face to the world.”
“Editing a podcast is a lot of deleting.”
“There's a baked-in irony in being a productivity blogger because you constantly examine your own habits.”
- The Self Journal by Cathryn Lavery
“Some habits are easier to adapt than others.”
- Bagel Tuesday
“Is it the curse of the entrepreneur that we feel the need to constantly be working?”
- Deep Work by Cal Newport on Amazon and on Audible
- The Accidental Creative Podcast by Todd Henry
- Molly Young‘s review of Deep Work, et al.
- Forbes predicts “by 2020 over 50% of the US Workforce will be freelance”
- Digital Strategy School group on Slack
- Prescott thinks co-working spaces are primarily a real estate play
- RIP Studiomates in DUMBO, Brooklyn
- Tina Roth Eisenberg aka Swiss Miss
- Creative Mornings
- WeWork is the big player in co-working. They’re becoming the Starbucks.
- BKLYN Commons co-working space
- Marie and Ben work in a co-working space in Vancouver
- 9 Habits of Highly Creative People
- Decision Fatigue — willpower erodes during the day
- Do you have a “Work Uniform“?
- Prescott still has his Powerbook G4 from 2004
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo on Amazon and on Audible
- Joaquin Cotler
- RIP Ethan Greene
- Hoarders, and how it builds compulsive anxiety
“No one is immune from psychology.”
“Let's be honest, a lot of designer identities are for other designers.”
- Prescott hasn’t redesigned his personal site since 2010 // UPDATE: Prescott updated his site in May 2016, but it’s still not that sophisticated
- May 1 Reboot — redesign your site by May 1
“I have to take the long way for (web) design.”
- Hi-Fidelity Mockups
- Prescott did his chiropractor’s website using Divi
- SASS or LESS, which to choose
- How to set up a Git repository
- Sally Hogshead
- Berkshire Hathaway
- How The World Sees You by Sally Hogshead on Amazon and on Audible
- Armin & Bryony from UnderConsideration
- The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber on Amazon and on Audible
- Freelancers struggle with one of three things: Staying organised, staying focused, or staying energised
- New York City Podcast Meetup
“Unlike rock music and Olympic gymnastics, designers get better with age.”
- Sayba Naturals — Jill Fox’s soap business
- Starship Design
- Prescott Perez-Fox on Twitter
- Prescott Perez-Fox on Facebook
- Prescott Perez-Fox on Instagram
- Prescott Perez-Fox on YouTube
- Propose → Plan → Prepare → Produce → Publish → Promote
- Save letters to make your processes simpler
- Divide your day into blocks like “Morning shift”
- Look for peer mastermind groups, an accountability partner, and a mentor — concurrently
- Work toward having an entire podcast episode in the can
- Learn the keyboard shortcuts as soon as possible.
- Track your projects on a wall, using post-its or cards
Try Audible.com Free for 30-Days
Visit BusyCreatorBook.com for your free trial
Join the Discussion
Add your experiences in the Comments section below.
Enjoyed this article?
More insight and resources delivered in our newsletter. Sign up below to receive site updates.